First responders – paramedics, law enforcement officers, firefighters, corrections officers, disaster assistance teams, emergency department staff and others – dedicate their lives to helping others in crisis, sometimes at their own peril.
However, because of the stigma associated with getting help, they may not seek therapy to cope with divorce, stress, traumas and the pressures of living up to our hero expectations.
- In the U.S., twice as many police officers commit suicide as are killed in the line of duty.
- By October 2014, 25 Canadian first responders had killed themselves – 13 in 10 weeks.
- Three New York firefighters who helped rescue 9/11 victims completed suicide within a year.
- A police sergeant who rescued four victims at the bombed Oklahoma City federal building completed suicide.
- A paramedic who helped rescue baby Jessica McClure from a well later killed himself.
It takes courage to ask for help. Be courageous. #youfirstdemo #firstresponder